Duck Legs Deglazed with Ice Cider on a
Chef Thierry Daraize
Prep. time: 25 min. Cook time for meat: approx. 2 hrs. Serves: 4
4 Pekin Duck legs
2 tablespoons (30 ml) olive oil
1/2 cup (125 ml) maple syrup
1 minced red onion
2 finely chopped garlic cloves
1 tablespoon (15 ml) grated fresh ginger
1 twig of thyme
1 1/2 cup (375 ml) ice cider
1/2 cup (125 ml) duck or veal stock
Salt and pepper to taste
Vegetables: 8 small bell potatoes, 4 small carrots, 1 small rutabaga
(cut into juliennes), 1 fennel bulb (cut in quarters), 1/2 small cabbage
(divided in four), 12 seeding onions, 1 red bell pepper (cut in strips).
- In a large stovetop pan, sauté the duck legs in olive oil and maple syrup (approx. 10 minutes).
- Add the onion, garlic, ginger and thyme.
- Pour 1/2 a cup of ice cider over the mixture, add the duck or veal stock, cover and simmer until bones pull out easily (approx. 1 hour and 50 minutes) stirring constantly.
- One hour before the duck legs are cooked, add the potatoes, carrots, rutabaga, fennel and remaining ice cider. Cook 10 minutes.
- Add the cabbage, onions and bell pepper. Let it cook for 50 minutes.
- Check seasoning during cooking.
- In a serving dish, form a flower corolla with all the vegetables, put the duck legs on top and garnish with thin apple quarters.
- Serve at once.