Roasted Duck with Apple and Ginger
Executive Chef: Jean-Pierre Gouin
Cooking time approx: 2 hours Serves: 4
1 Pekin Duck
2 medium onions
3 McIntosh apples
75 ml (1/3 cup) grated fresh ginger
75 ml (1/3 cup) maple syrup
15 ml (1 tablespoon) each of salt and coarse ground black pepper
1 L (4 cups) of duck broth or water
30 ml (2 tablespoons) cornstarch
Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 180ºC (350ºF).
- Remove giblets from duck. Cut onions and apples into chunks.
- Mix with the ginger, maple syrup, salt and pepper.
- Stuff the duck with this mixture. Place in a roasting pan and add the broth.
- Cook covered for about 2 hours. Uncover and cook for 30 more minutes. Baste frequently with the pan juices and add water if necessary.
- Remove the cooked duck from the pan and set aside. Skim the fat off the pan juices.
- Mix the cornstarch with a little water until smooth. Pour into a saucepan. Heat, stirring in the pan juices. Mix until smooth, add salt and pepper to taste.
- Present roasted duck on a serving platter and serve the sauce in a sauce boat.